Skip to main content

Harry Kupfer: German opera great dies aged 84

Harry Kupfer
Harry Kupfer

One of the world’s most celebrated opera directors, Germany’s Harry Kupfer, has died at the age of 84 in Berlin, his agency confirmed on Tuesday.

In a career spanning 44 years, Kupfer worked at opera houses across Germany and was chief director of Berlin’s iconic Komische Oper for more than two decades.

Born in 1935, Kupfer studied in Leipzig and first worked in then-communist East Germany.

But he rose to fame in 1978 with a production of Richard Wagner’s “The Flying Dutchman” at the world-renowned Bayreuth festival.

READ ALSO: Be vigilant against menace of road accidents in 2020, FRSC urges Nigerians

He took the reins at the Komische Oper three years later in 1981.

A student of Komische Oper founder Walter Felsenstein, Kupfer staged works by Mozart and Wagner and oversaw two world premieres at the opera house before bowing out in 2002.

He returned to Bayreuth in 1988, staging Wagner’s “Ring of the Nibelung” alongside Argentine-Israeli conductor Daniel Barenboim.

After the fall of the Berlin Wall, Kupfer cooperated with Barenboim again on an ambitious project to stage one Wagner opera a year over the course of a decade at the Berlin State Opera.

He continued to work until right up to his death, directing around the world and staging Georg Friederich Handel’s Poro in a triumphant return to the Komische Oper earlier this year.

VANGUARD

The post Harry Kupfer: German opera great dies aged 84 appeared first on Vanguard News.


by Emmanuel Okogba via Vanguard News https://ift.tt/2QBRJCQ Best Known Member of the Cabinet Wikipedia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UPDATED: Nigeria’s coronavirus cases reach 1,728, fatalities 51

  By David Royal The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) says 196 new cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 1,728. NCDC also announced that seven more fatalities were recorded, bringing the total number of deaths to 51. The NCDC, in a tweet at about 11:55 p.m. on Wednesday, said the 196 new cases reported were; 87-Lagos, 24-Kano, 18-Gombe, 17-Kaduna, 16-FCT, 10-Katsina, 8-Sokoto, 7-Edo, 6-Borno, 1-Yobe, 1-Ebonyi, 1-Adamawa. The virus has spread to 34 states and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. Yobe, according to NCDC report, is the most recent state to record COVID-19 case in the country. According to the agency, Nigeria now has 1,370 active cases recorded as of 11:55 p.m. on April 29, while 307 infected persons have been treated and discharged, with 51 deaths recorded. READ ALSO: US says remdesivir shows ‘clear-cut’ effect in treating coronavirus “On the 29th of April 2020, 196 ...

COVID-19: Kano overtakes FCT with total confirmed cases, records 80 in 24 hours

By David Royal Kano state on Thursday overtook the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, with total confirmed cases of COVID-19 after recording 80 cases in 24 hours, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the state to 219, while Abuja has a total of 178. The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Thursday, announced that 204 new cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 1932. NCDC also announced that seven more fatalities were recorded, bringing the total number of deaths to 58. The NCDC, in a tweet at about 11:50 p.m. on Thursday, said of the 204 new cases,   80 were recorded in Kano state, 45-Lagos, 12-Gombe, 9-Bauchi, 9-Sokoto, 7-Borno, 7-Edo, 6-Rivers, 6-Ogun, 4-FCT, 4-Akwa Ibom, 4-Bayelsa, 3-Kaduna, 2-Oyo, 2-Delta, 2-Nasarawa, 1-Ondo, 1-Kebbi. Thursday’s 204 new cases are the highest reported in a day since the outbreak of the pandemic in February. READ ALSO: COVID-19:...

COVID-19: Health advocate thumps up tricycle owners on regulations

By Theodore Opara Tricycle Owners Association of Nigeria (TOAN) A leading health advocate, Dr. Kelechi Okoro, has commended the Tricycle Owners Association of Nigeria, TOAN, for taking proactive steps on regulations to ensure safety of tricycle drivers and passengers in the COVID-19 crisis. Kelechi Okoro, who made the commendation via her social media handle, said: “As a medical practitioner, I say kudos to TOAN for taking proactive steps to increase the safety of their riders and passengers, by announcing health and safety norms to help curb the spread of COVID-19. READ ALSO Trump says evidence ties COVID-19 virus to Wuhan lab, threatens tariffs “Kekes can be a safer option of public transport because of limited passengers and open ventilation, and TOAN has gone one step further by limiting passengers to two persons at a time.” Pennultimate week, TOAN, one of the country’s largest tricycle operator unions, issued a circular advising their affiliated tricycles to limit the num...